BUICK REGAL GIVES CUSTOMERS THE POWER OF CHOICE
The Buick Regal sedan delivers a premium, sporty driving experience while still achieving a fuel consumption rating of 5.4L/100km highway (with eAssist light electrification technology). It’s also a turbocharged performance touring sedan with power that is responsive yet responsible.
Three propulsion choices balance efficiency and performance in the 2013 Regal lineup:
- Regal with eAssist light electrification technology, which delivers 8.3L/100km city and 5.4L/100km highway. The Ecotec 2.4L engine with eAssist is the entry powertrain on Regal.
- Regal with Ecotec 2.0L Turbo, which takes on competitors such as the Acura TSX, Volvo S60 and Volkswagen CC. The Regal Turbo makes 220 horsepower (164 kW). It is the standard engine on Regal Turbo and Regal Turbo Sport models.
- Regal GS, a responsive, high-output turbo performance touring sedan with 270 horsepower (201 kW), 295 lb.-ft. (400 Nm) of torque and standard Interactive Drive Control System. (Please see separate Regal GS release for more details.)
Buick IntelliLink® is standard on all Regal audio systems, and uses Bluetooth wireless connectivity or USB to connect the driver’s smartphone to a seven-inch, high-resolution, full-colour touch screen display radio.
IntelliLink® allows smart phone control via voice activation and steering wheel-mounted controls. It also enables streaming stereo audio from the phone through services such as Stitcher SmartRadio®.
IntelliLink® allows Buick customers to customize how and when they want their music and news/talk programming. It also seamlessly integrates portable devices while they are safely stowed, allowing drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
IntelliLink® complements the safety, security and connectivity services of OnStar, also standard on all Regal models. With a simple button touch, voice command or via an app downloadable for compatible smartphones, Regal owners can access popular OnStar services such as Turn-by-Turn navigation and Destination Download, hands-free calling, remote door unlock, vehicle diagnostics, emergency assistance and much more.
Another change for 2013 is the addition of an audio system with available GPS-enabled navigation on Regal models, when ordered with the available sunroof. It consists of IntelliLink connectivity, AM/FM/XM stereo, single CD/DVD player and MP3 player, USB port, Radio Data System and auxiliary input jack.
The standard audio system consists of IntelliLink®, AM/FM XM stereo with CD player, MP3, USB and auxiliary port, MP3/WMA playback and iPod support.
The Regal’s flowing silhouette and coupe-like proportions suggest motion from all angles.
Attention to detail complements the Regal’s bold styling, with Buick design cues such as the waterfall grille, select use of chrome trim and excellent fit and finish of the exterior panels. Buick’s signature portholes are located on the hood instead of the front fenders, and all Regal models sport a black chrome grille.
Regal’s short rear deck and tucked-in body panels are characteristic of a contemporary sport sedan. Bold taillamps and intricate lighting elements underscore the car’s attention to detail.
Regal GS features unique front and rear fascias, with the front fascia incorporating prominent, vertical air intake slots. The rear fascia has a pair of integrated, satin-metallic trapezoidal exhaust outlets. Rocker panel extensions and a rear spoiler extension are also featured.
Inside the Regal, the feeling of flow and motion extends inside the car, where side panels flow uninterrupted into the instrument panel. Gauges and controls have the look of expensive sport timepieces and are lit with ice-blue LED lights.
The centre stack was designed to allow for a lower instrument panel profile more inviting to drivers. Firm, highly bolstered seats rival those of the top import competitors for comfort and support.
New exterior colours for 2013 are Black Diamond Tricoat (premium charge), Champagne Silver Metallic and Dark Blue Metallic.
Regal interior and exterior – standard and available features
The entry Regal (1SL) is generously equipped, with standard features that include:
- 182 hp, 2.4L Ecotec engine with eAssist
- Six air bags, include side curtain air bags
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control
- Traction control
- Four-wheel anti-lock brakes with Intelligent Brake Assist
- OnStar (with six months of Directions and Connections service)
- Remote start
- Passive keyless entry
- 120-volt accessory power outlet
- Fog lamps
- Cruise control
- Power windows with driver and front passenger express up/down
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Seven-inch colour touch screen radio with Buick IntelliLink, AM/FM XM (three months of service) stereo with CD player and auxiliary input jack, USB port and Bluetooth wireless connectivity for select phones
- Leather-appointed seating
- Heated driver and passenger front seats
- Twelve-way power driver’s seat
- Auto-dimming inside rearview mirror
- Electronic parking brake
- Ice blue ambient lighting.
- Rear park assist
Regal is also available in three additional trim levels.
Regal Turbo (1SP) – Adds Comfort and Convenience package: power 12-way passenger seat, heated steering wheel (if Turbo engine is ordered). Adds 220-hp (164kW) Ecotec 2.0 turbo engine, Bi-Xenon HID headlamps, 18-inch aluminum wheels.
Regal Turbo Sport (1SR) – Adds standard 220-hp (164 kW) Ecotec 2.0 turbo engine and six-speed automatic transmission; Interactive Drive Control package: interactive drive control system, 19-inch alloy wheels
Regal GS (1SX) – Adds standard 270-hp (201 kW) Ecotec 2.0 high-output turbo engine and six-speed automatic transmission; GS Package: Interactive Drive Control system tuned exclusively for GS, GS bodywork, GS interior, HiPer Strut front transmission, Brembo front brakes, front parking assist, three-spoke flat bottom sport steering wheel with audio controls, 19-inch 5 twin-spoke alloy wheels.
Twenty-inch, 5-twin spoke polished alloy wheels and summer-rated performance tires are optional on GS.
Additional options include a power sunroof and navigation with the Buick IntelliLink system on all Regal models.
Chassis and suspension
The Regal’s chassis and structural systems were developed globally, and they give the Regal the handling and dynamics of a luxury import sport sedan with the quiet, refined ride expected of a Buick.
Regal was engineered with one of the most rigid body structures in the segment, which supports more precise suspension tuning and a quieter ride. Additional features include:
- Long wheelbase of 107.8 inches (2738 mm) gives the Regal refined, well-balanced vehicle dynamics and supports comfortable ride tuning
- Independent MacPherson strut-type front suspension, a four-link independent rear suspension, electric rack-and-pinion power steering and optimized four-wheel disc brakes are designed to balance ride comfort and sportiness. Models equipped with the 2.0L turbo engine feature larger brakes and variable-effort power rack and pinion steering
- Regal GS features a four-wheel independent suspension with a unique High Performance Strut (HiPer Strut) front suspension design. HiPerStrut improves ride and handling by reducing torque steer; improving vehicle sensitivity to tire irregularities and wheel balance; more linear and communicative steering through improved camber control; and improved impact isolation on bumps and rough surfaces.
- Latest-generation electronic stability control (StabiliTrak), anti-lock brake system (ABS) and traction control system (TCS) are standard.
A family of 17-inch, 18-inch, 19-inch and 20-inch wheels is offered on the Regal.
Regal with eAssist is equipped with standard 17-inch alloy wheels with low rolling-resistance tires. The Regal Turbo model has 18-inch alloy wheels (chrome wheels are available), and the Regal Turbo Sport is equipped with 19-inch painted machined alloy wheels.
GS is outfitted with standard 19-inch 5 twin-spoke alloy wheels; 20-inch alloy wheels with summer-only tires are available.
Interactive Drive Control
Buick’s Interactive Drive Control System is standard on the Regal Turbo Sport and Regal GS, and adapts damping and other driving functions to drivers’ preferences. It includes 19-inch wheels. While the Regal Turbo Sport offers Interactive Drive Control with the choice of a standard adaptive setting, a more comfortable Tour mode and a Sport mode, the system in the Regal GS is deliberately tuned for those who enjoy a higher level of performance:
- Standard: Delivers ideal all-round performance while maintaining comfort characteristics for everyday driving.
- Sport: Features a firmer level of suspension damping and reduces body roll for more agility. The sport mode increases steering effort only on the Regal Turbo.
- Tour (exclusive to Regal Turbo): Optimized for comfort and relaxed driving on longer journeys.
- GS (exclusive to Regal GS): Readies the car for dynamic, enthusiast- level driving. Increased steering efforts provide more direct feedback to the driver, while increased damping levels ensure ultimate wheel control and reduced body roll for ultimate agility. GS mode will also alter the shift feel on an automatic transmission.
Efficient, proven powertrains
The Regal relies on the excellent horsepower-per-litre ratio of the four-cylinder Ecotec engine family to deliver smart, on-demand performance that is also very efficient. The standard Ecotec 2.4L engine with eAssist and the available Ecotec 2.0L turbo use direct injection technology to optimize performance, reduce emissions and maximize fuel efficiency. These engines (except GS) are also flex-fuel capable and can run on E85 ethanol, gasoline or any combination of the two.
Regal with eAssist: The Ecotec 2.4L engine with eAssist fuel-saving technology is standard on Regal. It makes 182 horsepower (136 kW) and 172 lb.-ft. of torque, and provides a fuel consumption rating of 8.3L/100km city and 5.4L/100km highway.
Mated to Regal’s 2.4L Ecotec direct injection four-cylinder engine and next-generation six-speed automatic transmission, the eAssist system uses power stored in the lithium-ion battery to provide needed electrical boost in various driving situations and enable regenerative braking capability, optimizing engine and transmission operation.
Changes to clutch controls and hardware provide reduced spin losses while improving shift response and time. An auxiliary, electric-driven oil pump keeps the transmission primed and fluid flowing when the engine shuts down at a stop.
Regal Turbo: The Ecotec 2.0L turbo produces 220 horsepower (164 kW) and 260 lb-ft (353 Nm) of torque, on-demand power comparable to a V-6, but with the efficiency of a four-cylinder. With the available six-speed manual transmission, Regal Turbo achieves a fuel consumption rating of 6.2L/100km highway when equipped with the available manual transmission.
Regal GS: The Regal GS blends a 270-horsepower (201 kW) high-output Ecotec 2.0L turbo engine, six-speed automatic transmission, responsive Interactive Drive Control System suspension technology, four-piston Brembo front callipers and aggressive styling into a powerful and spirited performance touring sedan.
The Regal GS 2.0L Turbo delivers the highest specific output of any production engine GM has offered, and at 135 hp per litre, it is the most power-dense engine ever certified by SAE. It also produces more launch force than the Acura TSX. V-6, Audi A4 Sport, Lexus IS 250 and 350, Infiniti G25, Volkswagen CC and the Volvo S60 T5.
Six-speed automatic transmissions are paired with each engine. They offer driver shift control that enhance the sporty driving feel. A six-speed manual transmission is available on Regal Turbo, Regal Turbo Sport and GS.
Regal safety and crash-avoidance features
Regal offers standard and available safety features designed to protect occupants before, during and after a crash.
- Six standard air bags including dual-stage frontal and side-impact air bags; two additional rear-seat thorax air bags are standard on 1SP, 1SR and GS
- Three-point safety belts in all seating positions and air bag passenger sensing system to detect the presence of a small adult or child in the front passenger seat
- Standard ultrasonic rear park assist (front and rear park assist standard on GS)
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control to help mitigate rollover crashes, and traction control
- Four-wheel anti-lock brakes with Intelligent Brake Assist
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on Regal. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink® Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle.
Regal also features new OnStar button icons. Drivers will notice an updated look for the Hands-Free Calling button, blue OnStar button and red Emergency button.
More information about OnStar can be found at http://www.onstar.ca.
# # #