2016 CADILLAC CTS-V IS THE MOST CAPABLE V-SERIES EVER, WITH TRUE TRACK CAPABILITY FROM THE FACTORY
The 2016 CTS-Vis the centerpiece of Cadillac’s growing product line, building on the V-Series legacy and leveraging the strength of the award-winning CTS architecture to deliver the most capable V-Series ever – a luxury sedan with sophisticated road manners and unprecedented performance, with true track capability straight from the factory.
It is the third generation of the acclaimed luxury sports sedan that launched the brand’s elite V-Series a decade ago – and redefined Cadillac for a new generation of drivers.
“V-Series represents the very best of the Cadillac brand – the pinnacle of our design, performance and technology that coalesce in our most substantive products,” said Johan de Nysschen, Cadillac president. “The original CTS-V established that benchmark and this new, third-generation example puts it on the world stage.”
The 2016 CTS-V introduces a new supercharged 6.2L V-8 engine SAE certified at 640 horsepower (477 kW) and 630 lb-ft of torque (855 Nm). It’s backed by Cadillac’s paddle-shift eight-speed automatic transmission featuring launch control and Performance Algorithm Shifting.
With more horsepower and torque than the Mercedes-Benz 5.5L biturbo V-8 and the BMW M-series 4.4L TwinPower (twin-turbo) V-8, the new CTS-V is capable of 0-96 km/h performance in 3.7 seconds and a top speed of 322 km/h (200 mph).
Track-honed design, chassis and suspension elements complement the supercharged powertrain and elevate CTS-V’s capability, performance and driver control to new thresholds, while enabling track driving without modifications or special procedures. Key performance technologies include:
- Standard carbon fibre hood and available carbon fibre vent, front splitter, rear spoiler and rear diffuser for greater aerodynamic performance and powertrain cooling
- Brembo high-performance brake system developed to provide durability, consistency and the capability for track-day performance straight from the factory
- Third-generation Magnetic Ride Control delivering 40-percent faster damping response
- Integrated chassis controls that provide balanced performance for touring and the track, including class-exclusive Performance Traction Management
- Structural stiffness increased by 25 percent for higher cornering loads
- Driver-selectable driving modes for touring, sport and track
- Tri-compound tires offering excellent grip with extended tire wear
- An interior with high-performance seats and ergonomics focused on the driver’s interfaces with key features for performance driving.
Additionally, the CTS-V’s Performance Data Recorder allows drivers to record high-definition video, with data overlays, of their driving experiences on and off the track, enabling sharing on social media.
More powerful supercharged V-8 engine
The power behind the new CTS-V’s capability is an all-new, more powerful 6.2L supercharged V-8 engine that makes more power more efficiently than the previous Cadillac supercharged engine. It employs a more-efficient, more-compact 1.7L supercharger and matches it with direct injection and Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation).
The supercharger’s rotors are smaller in diameter than the previous supercharged engine, allowing higher maximum rpm – and quicker “spin up” that enables power-enhancing boost to be generated earlier in the rpm band. That boost is achieved more efficiently via a more direct discharge port that creates less turbulence, reducing heat and speeding airflow into the engine.
The Cadillac supercharged engine also has several unique features designed to support its high output and the greater cylinder pressures created by forced induction, including Rotocast A356T6 aluminum cylinder heads that are stronger and handle heat better than conventional aluminum heads, and lightweight titanium intake valves.
The CTS-V’s complementing eight-speed automatic is tuned for world-class shift-response times. Smaller steps between gears keep the engine within the sweet spot of the rpm band, making the most of the output of the supercharged engine for exhilarating performance and greater efficiency.
The new 8L90 transmission offers full manual control via steering wheel paddles, and Performance Algorithm Shifting to deliver shift performance that rivals the dual-clutch/semi-automatic transmissions found in many luxury performance sedans – but with the smoothness and refinement that come with a conventional automatic fitted with a torque converter.
Stronger structure enhances body motion control
The CTS’s structure is highly mass optimized and designed to meet higher performance requirements, with enhancements to the V-Series developed to respond to cornering and torque loads that go significantly beyond the levels experienced by the non-V models.
Unique and revised elements include:
- Shock tower-to-tower brace
- Shock tower-to-plenum brace
- V-braces for the engine compartment
- Strengthened rocker bulkhead
- Stronger rear cradle-to-rocker braces
- A unique aluminum shear panel at the front of the chassis
- Upper tie bar-to-rear bumper braces.
The enhancements contribute 25-percent greater structural stiffness than non-V models, for more precise handling and more direct steering responsiveness – and a more confident feel from a vehicle that conveys strength through exceptional solidity.
“With the stronger body structure – and more than a decade of V-Series production models and the CTS-Vracing program experience – engineers tuned the CTS-V to deliver greater body motion control for a more agile feel, while maintaining excellent ride quality,” said David Leone, Cadillac executive chief engineer. “The result is class-leading capability on the highway or track, balanced with luxury and refinement.”
Track-honed chassis and suspension
The CTS-Vshares the same 2,910 mm (114.6-inch) wheelbase as the CTS non-V-Series models, but features wider front and rear footprints that enhance grip, reduce body motion in turns and contribute to more direct-feeling steering.
Nineteen-inch wheels wrapped with specially developed Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires give the CTS-V its footprint and enable nearly 1g in lateral acceleration. The lightweight, forged aluminum wheels – measuring 9.5 inches wide in the front and 10 inches wide in the rear – are constructed of a low-mass forging that helps reduce un-sprung weight for greater agility and a more direct feel to steering inputs.
In fact, the wheels are 45-percent stiffer than previous CTS-V wheels, while the Michelin tires feature a tri-compound tread that delivers excellent grip in performance driving situations, but delivers excellent ride quality characteristics and extended tread wear.
Additional contributors to the CTS-V’s responsive, connected and track-capable driving experience include:
- A revised multi-link double-pivot MacPherson-strut front suspension delivers a quicker response and increased lateral control, incorporating “hydro” bushings, where traditional elastomeric bushings are replaced with zero-compliance cross-axis ball joints, higher-rate springs and a stiffer stabilizer bar – for 20-percent greater roll stiffness
- The ZF Steering Systems Servotronic II variable-ratio electric power steering gear, with 14-percent greater system stiffness for an improved feeling of precision and greater driver feedback
- Cadillac’s five-link rear suspension features reduced roll centre migration, stronger lateral control and effective anti-squat geometry, complementing the front suspension with greater body motion control. Contributing components include stiffer bushings, new cradle mounts, higher-rate springs and a stiffer stabilizer bar
- A standard electronic limited-slip differential supports optimal traction and enables maximum corner exit acceleration
- Larger prop shafts and greater half-shaft asymmetry (stiffer driver’s side shaft) mitigate power hop during acceleration
- A Brembo brake system provides durability, consistency and the capability for track-day performance. The system includes 390 mm diameter (15.3-inch) front rotors with staggered six-piston callipers and 365 mm diameter (14.3-inch) rear rotors with four-piston callipers.
Additionally, the CTS-V features third-generation Magnetic Ride Control and Performance Traction Management. Four driver-selectable settings include the segment’s only competition-level settings for stability and traction control.
Magnetic Ride Control “reads” the road a thousand times per second, sending data to magneto-rheological fluid-filled dampers that can independently control the damping characteristics of all four dampers. Third-generation improvements enable 40-percent faster damping response. In fact, at 96 km/h (60 mph), the third-generation Magnetic Ride Control system calculates the optimal damping force for every inch of the road.
Almost every exterior panel on the CTS-V is unique, from the fascias and fenders, to the hood, rear spoiler and rocker mouldings – and every one was designed to support the car’s capability, contributing to lift reduction, enhanced cooling or both.
The unique elements include:
- A lightweight carbon fibre hood features an air-extracting vent that not only pulls hot air out of the engine compartment, but helps reduce lift at speed by channeling air pulled through the radiator out and over the top of car rather than allowing trapped air to exit under the car
- Unique front and rear fascias provide optimal aero performance, with larger grille openings in the front fascia to feed more air to the supercharged engine. Even the mesh pattern of the signature grille openings is enlarged to allow more air into the radiator and multiple heat exchangers
- A front splitter enhances handling by forcing air to push down on the front of the car rather than flow under it, where it can cause lift
- Wider fenders to accommodate the wide, 19-inch wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires
- The rocker mouldings and rear spoiler are aero-optimized
- The forged aluminum wheels and brake callipers are offered in three finishes, allowing owners to personalize the appearance of the CTS-V.
An available Carbon Fibre package takes aero performance and mass optimization to higher levels. The Carbon Fibre package includes a more aggressive front splitter, hood vent trim and rear diffuser, along with composite rocker extensions and a taller, exposed-carbon fibre rear spoiler.
“V-Series is the emotive core of Cadillac and the apex of the brand’s Art and Science design philosophy,” said Andrew Smith, executive director, Cadillac Global Design. “The CTS-V reflects that with a bold sense of arrival, serious performance, seamless integration of technology and precision in its craftsmanship. The exposed carbon fibre components, for example, are book-matched on the centerline for a more precise, tailored appearance.”
The CTS-V’s dual-purpose capability carries over to the interior, where the design and relationship of key components are focused expressly on performance-driving ergonomics.
“With the performance the new CTS-V is capable of delivering, the interior needs to be as functional as the other vehicles systems,” said Smith. “All of the contact points – the steering wheel, seats, shifter and pedals – are designed to make performance driving experiences direct and intuitive.”
Available 16-way-adjustable RECARO performance front seats are the lynchpins for the driving experience, with aggressive, adjustable bolsters that help hold the driver and front passenger in place during high-load cornering. They also have a luxury-performance feel, trimmed in Mulan leather with sueded microfibre inserts and seatbacks.
The rest of the interior features Cadillac’s handcrafted cut-and-sew elements, with decorative stitching and authentic materials, including an available sueded steering wheel and shift knob. Three interior colour combinations are offered: Jet Black, Jet Black with Light Platinum accents and Saffron with Jet Black accents.
The CTS-V features a unique version of the 12.3-inch instrument panel cluster display, with V-Series graphics and distinctive gauge readouts and complementing full-colour head-up display. It is also equipped with the latest connectivity technologies from Cadillac:
- CUE with Bluetooth connectivity with enhanced voice recognition
- Siri Eyes Free and text-to-voice that converts incoming text messages to speech and reads them over the audio system speakers
- Wireless inductive phone charging
- OnStar 4G LTE connectivity with built-in Wi-Fi hotspot.
The Performance Data Recorder is controlled via CUE’s colour touch screen and recordings can be reviewed on the screen when the vehicle is parked.
The 2016 Cadillac CTS-V also features the latest in phone integration technology, including Apple CarPlay, which allows smartphone users to connect with applications such as navigation, hands-free text messaging, entertainment and news directly through the CUE’s display screen.
Connectivity is simple as iPhone features (on iPhone 5 and later) are displayed on the screen and can be controlled by voice commands through a steering wheel button, helping drivers keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
Apple CarPlay takes the iPhone features most owners want to access while driving and puts them on the vehicle’s display to allow drivers to make calls, send and receive messages and listen to music right from the touchscreen or by voice via Siri. Apple CarPlay-supported apps include Phone, Messages, Maps, Music and compatible third-party apps. A full list of those apps can be found at Apple.com/ios/carplay.
Android Auto compatibility will be available later in the 2016 model year.
About Cadillac in Canada
Cadillac has been a leading luxury auto brand since 1902. Today, Cadillac is growing globally, driven by an expanding product portfolio featuring dramatic design and technology. More information on Cadillac appears at www.cadillac.ca. Cadillac's media website with information, images and video can be found at media.cadillac.ca.
# # #