2016 CADILLAC ATS-V EXPANDS ACCLAIMED PRODUCT LINE, ELEVATES BRAND’S HIGH-PERFORMANCE V-SERIES WITH FIRST TWIN-TURBO ENTRY
The first-ever ATS-V – offered as a coupe and sedan – introduces class-leading twin-turbocharged power and a comprehensive suite of design and performance systems, expanding the ATS product line and advancing the V-Series legacy with its first turbocharged entry.
Since its inception in 2004, Cadillac’s V-Series has driven remarkable power and performance capability into the brand’s growing luxury car range. Building on the strengths of the award-winning ATS product line, the V-Series adds impressive track capability to what was already the lightest and most agile-driving car in the luxury compact class. The result is a dual-purpose luxury performer – a car with true track capability right from the factory that is also a sophisticated luxury car on the road.
“Cadillac’s V-Series is the best example of Cadillac’s emerging product substance – and the purest expression of the passion at the core of the brand,” said Johan de Nysschen, Cadillac President.
The ATS-V is powered by the first-ever twin-turbocharged engine in a V-Series. Rated at an SAE-certified 464 horsepower (346 kW) and 444 lb-ft of torque (601 Nm), the engine is the segment’s highest-output six-cylinder and enables 0-96 km/h performance in 3.8 seconds and a top speed of 304 km/h. It is backed by a six-speed manual – with Active Rev Match, no-lift shifting and launch control – or a paddle-shift eight-speed automatic transmission featuring launch control and Performance Algorithm Shift.
The Cadillac Twin Turbo engine supports comprehensively redesigned chassis, suspension and drivetrain systems developed to make the ATS-V one of the most agile, responsive and confident luxury performance cars on the market. Key performance technologies include:
- Brembo high-performance brake system developed to provide durability, consistency and the capability for track-day performance straight from the factory
- Third-generation Magnetic Ride Control, which delivers 40-percent faster damping response
- Integrated chassis controls that provide balanced performance for touring and the track, including class-exclusive Performance Traction Management
- Structural stiffness increased by 25 percent for higher cornering loads
- Driver-selectable driving modes for touring, sport and track
- Tri-compound tires offering excellent grip with extended tire wear
- Available downforce-generating track aerodynamics package
- Functional exterior design for powertrain and drivetrain cooling, as well as aerodynamic performance
- An interior with high-performance seats and ergonomics focused on the driver’s interfaces with key features for performance driving.
“As the smallest and lightest V-Series ever, the ATS-V forges a great connection with the driver, with exceptional nimbleness and responsiveness,” said David Leone, Cadillac executive chief engineer. “It’s adaptable to the driver’s preferences, with every selectable mode developed to deliver the best performance for all types of driving scenarios, including the track.”
A Performance Data Recorder onboard the ATS-V allows drivers to record high-definition video, with data overlays, of their driving experiences on and off the track, enabling sharing on social media.
First twin-turbocharged V-Series
With a more powerful iteration of Cadillac’s Twin Turbo 3.6L V-6, the ATS-V represents the first twin-turbo powertrain in the history of the V-Series lineup. Exclusive features for the ATS-V version of the Twin Turbo are designed to make power faster and sustain it longer. Highlights include:
- Turbochargers with low-inertia titanium-aluminide turbines and vacuum-actuated wastegates for more responsive torque production
- Compressors matched for peak efficiency at peak power levels, for optimal track performance
- Patent-pending low-volume charge-cooling system that optimizes packaging efficiency and maximizes boost pressure
- Lightweight titanium connecting rods that reduce inertia of the rotating assembly, complementing the quick-spooling turbochargers
- A high-performance lubrication system designed to maintain optimal oil pressure and ventilation during high-lateral driving manoeuvres typically encountered on a track.
The twin, low-inertia turbochargers’ featherweight titanium-aluminide turbines are used with vacuum-actuated wastegate control for precise, responsive torque production. In fact, the titanium-aluminide turbines reduce rotating inertial load by 51 percent, compared to conventional Inconel turbine wheels. That means less exhaust energy – which spins the turbines – is wasted in stored inertial loads.
In practical terms, that means the relatively small size of the turbochargers and their lightweight turbines foster more immediate “spooling,” which virtually eliminates lag, for an immediate feeling of power delivery. They produce up to 18 pounds of boost (125 kPa).
Unique vacuum-actuated wastegates – one per turbocharger – are used with the Twin Turbo for better management of the engine’s boost pressure and subsequent torque response for smoother, more consistent performance. They are independently controlled on each engine bank to balance the compressors’ output to achieve more precise boost pressure response.
The Cadillac Twin Turbo’s patented, manifold-integrated water-to-air charge cooling system also contributes to more immediate torque response, because the compressors blow through very short pipes up to the intercooler. With no circuitous heat-exchanger tubing, there is essentially no lag with the response of the turbochargers. In fact, airflow routing volume is reduced by 60 percent when compared with a conventional design that features a remotely mounted heat exchanger.
Additionally, unique cylinder heads feature a high-tumble intake port design that enhances the motion of the air charge for a more efficient burn when it is mixed with the direct-injected fuel and ignited in the combustion chamber. The topology of the pistons, which feature centrally located dishes to direct the fuel spray from the injectors, is an integral design element of the chamber design, as the piston heads become part of the combustion chamber with direct injection.
Large, 38.3-mm intake valves and 30.6-mm sodium-filled exhaust valves enable the engine to process tremendous airflow. In some conditions, the continuously variable valve timing system enables overlap conditions – when the intake and exhaust valves in a combustion chamber are briefly open at the same time – to promote airflow scavenging that helps spool the turbochargers quicker for faster boost production.
Hardened AR20 valve seat material on the exhaust side is used for its temperature robustness, while the heads are sealed to the block with multilayer-steel gaskets designed for the pressure of the turbocharging system.
The heads also feature integral exhaust manifolds with upper and lower water jackets that provide uniform temperature distribution and optimal heat rejection.
Six-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Match
The standard TREMEC TR6060 six-speed manual transmission has a strong track record proven in the supercharged CTS-V series. It is updated for ATS-V with selectable technologies that enhance driver control to help produce optimized shifts that can lead to faster lap times:
- Active Rev Match – anticipates the next gear selection and electronically “blips” the throttle to match engine speed for a seamless gear change
- No-lift shifting – Part of the Performance Traction Management system, it allows gear changes without the need for the driver to take his or her foot off the gas pedal, keeping the engine at full boost and maximum power
- Launch control – Also part of the Performance Traction Management system, it enables maximum off-the-line acceleration.
The TR6060 transmission is used with a dual-mass flywheel and dual-disc clutch, which deliver greater shift quality and feel through lower inertia.
Paddle-shift eight-speed automatic transmission
The new Hydra-Matic 8L90 eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission is available in the ATS-V. Designed and built by GM, it delivers world-class shift times that rival the best dual-clutch designs.
For performance driving, the transmission offers full manual control via steering wheel paddles. A new transmission-control system and unique algorithms deliver shift performance that rivals the dual-clutch/semi-automatic transmissions found in many supercars – but with the smoothness and refinement that comes with a conventional automatic fitted with a torque converter.
The transmission controller analyzes and executes commands 160 times per second. Wide-open throttle upshifts are executed up to eight-hundredths of a second quicker than those of the dual-clutch transmission offered in the Porsche 911. Additional performance-enhancing features include Performance Algorithm Shift and launch control via the Performance Traction Management system.
Stronger foundation and track-honed driving experience
The underlying ATS structure is highly mass optimized and designed to meet higher performance requirements, with enhancements to the V-Series developed to respond to cornering and torque loads that go significantly beyond the levels experienced by the non-V models.
The new elements include:
- Unique shock tower-to-plenum brace
- Strengthened rocker bulkhead
- Stronger rear cradle-to-rocker braces
- A unique aluminum shear panel at the front of the chassis
- V-braces for the engine compartment.
The result is 25-percent greater structural stiffness than non-V models, which contributes to more precise handling and more direct steering responsiveness.
“The ATS-V feels like it was machined from billet steel,” said Tony Roma, chief engineer. “Along with supporting the higher performance capability of the car, the enhanced structure conveys confidence to the driver through a greater feeling of solidity and sharper, more precise responsiveness.”
With the stronger body structure – and more than a decade of V-Series production models and the CTS-V racing program experience under their belts – engineers tuned the ATS-V to deliver greater body motion control for a more agile feel, while maintaining excellent ride quality.
“The result is class-leading capability on the highway or track, balanced with luxury and refinement,” said Roma. “In fact, the car is ready for the track right off the showroom floor, with no special modifications required.”
A key component of the car’s dual-purpose performance are Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires developed specifically for the ATS-V. They feature a tri-compound tread that delivers excellent grip in performance driving situations, but delivers excellent ride quality characteristics and extended tread wear.
Also, the V-Series models share the same 2,775 mm (109.3-inch) wheelbase as other ATS coupe and sedan models, but feature wider front and rear footprints that enhance grip, reduce body motion in turns and contribute to more direct-feeling steering.
Additional contributors to the ATS-V’s dual-mode driving experience include:
- A revised multi-link double-pivot MacPherson-strut front suspension delivers a quicker response and increased lateral control, incorporating new ride and handling links, where traditional elastomeric bushings are replaced with zero-compliance cross-axis ball joints, higher-rate springs and a stiffer stabilizer bar – for 50-percent greater roll stiffness
- The ZF Steering Systems Servotronic II variable-ratio electric power steering gear, with increased system stiffness offering an improved feeling of precision and greater driver feedback
- Cadillac’s five-link rear suspension features reduced roll centre migration, stronger lateral control and effective anti-squat geometry, complementing the front suspension with greater body motion control. Contributing components include stiffer bushings, new cradle mounts, higher-rate springs and a stiffer stabilizer bar
- A standard electronic limited-slip differential supports optimal traction and enables maximum corner exit acceleration
- Larger prop shafts and greater half-shaft asymmetry (stiffer driver’s side shaft) mitigate power hop during acceleration
- A Brembo high-performance brake system provides durability, consistency and the capability for track-day performance. The system includes 370 mm-diameter (14.5-inch) front rotors with staggered six-piston callipers and 339 mm-diameter (13.3-inch) rear rotors with four-piston callipers.
The ATS-V also features third-generation Magnetic Ride Control and Performance Traction Management. Five driver-selectable settings include the segment’s only competition-level settings for stability and traction control.
Magnetic Ride Control “reads” the road a thousand times per second, sending data to magneto-rheological fluid-filled dampers that can independently control the damping characteristics of all four dampers. Third-generation improvements enable 40-percent faster damping response. In fact, at 60 mph, the third-generation magnetic ride control system calculates the optimal damping force for every inch of the road.
Almost every exterior panel on the ATS-V is unique, from the fascias and fenders, to the hood, rear spoiler and rocker mouldings – and every one was designed to support the car’s capability.
“All of the design elements have a purpose,” said Andrew Smith, executive director, Cadillac Global Design. “They contribute to lift reduction, enhanced cooling, reduced mass or all of the above.”
The unique elements include:
- A lightweight carbon fibre hood features an air-extracting vent that not only pulls hot air out of the engine compartment, but helps reduce lift at speed by channeling air pulled through the radiator out and over the top of car rather than allowing trapped air to exit under the car
- Unique front and rear fascias provide optimal aero performance, with larger grille openings in the front fascia to feed more air to the new twin-turbocharged engine. Even the mesh pattern of the signature grille openings is enlarged to allow more air into the radiator and multiple heat exchangers
- A front splitter enhances handling by forcing air to push down on the front of the car rather than flow under it, where it can cause lift
- Wider fenders to accommodate 18 x 9-inch front wheels and 18 x 9.5-inch rear wheels that are wrapped with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires
- The aluminum wheels, unique to the V-Series, are constructed of a low-mass forging that helps reduce un-sprung weight for greater agility and a more direct feel to steering inputs
- The rocker mouldings and rear spoiler are aero-optimized.
Available Carbon Fibre and Track packages take aero performance and mass optimization to higher levels. The Carbon Fibre package includes a more aggressive front splitter, hood vent trim and rear diffuser, along with composite rocker extensions and a taller, body-colour rear spoiler. The Track package includes the components of the Carbon Fibre package, plus the Performance Data Recorder and a low-mass battery. It also deletes the standard floor mats and tire inflator kit to save weight.
“V-Series is the emotive core of the Cadillac brand and the apex of the Art and Science design philosophy,” said Smith. “A car offering a bold sense of arrival, serious performance, seamless integration of technology, and precision craftsmanship. The exposed carbon fibre components, for example, are book-matched on the centerline for a more precise, tailored appearance.”
Also, the lightweight forged aluminum wheels and brake callipers are offered in three finishes, allowing owners to personalize the presence of the ATS-V.
The aura of track-inspired precision carries over to the interior, where the design and relationship of key components are aimed squarely at performance-driving ergonomics.
“With the performance the new ATS-V is capable of delivering, the interior needs to be as functional as the other vehicles systems,” said Smith. “All of the contact points – the steering wheel, seats, shifter and pedals – are designed to make performance driving experiences direct and intuitive.”
New, available 16-way-adjustable RECARO performance front seats are the lynchpins for the driving experience, with aggressive, adjustable bolsters that help hold the driver and front passenger in place during high-load cornering. They also have a luxury-performance feel, trimmed in Mulan leather with sueded microfibre inserts and seatbacks.
The rest of the interior features Cadillac’s handcrafted cut-and-sew elements, with decorative stitching and authentic materials, including carbon fibre. Three interior colour combinations are offered: Jet Black, Jet Black with Saffron accents and Light Platinum with Jet Black accents.
The ATS-V also features a unique version of the 5.7-inch, three-window instrument panel cluster display, with V-Series graphics and distinctive gauge readouts. It is also equipped with the latest connectivity technologies from Cadillac, including:
- CUE with Bluetooth connectivity with enhanced voice recognition
- Text-to-voice that converts incoming text messages to speech and reads them over the audio system speakers
- USB, auxiliary and SD memory card ports
- OnStar 4G LTE connectivity with built-in Wi-Fi hotspot.
The Performance Data Recorder is controlled via CUE’s colour touch screen and recordings can be reviewed on the screen when the vehicle is parked.
The 2016 Cadillac ATS-V also features the latest in phone integration technology through Apple Car Play, which allows smartphone users to connect with applications such as navigation, hands-free text messaging, entertainment and news directly through the CUE display screen.
Connectivity is simple as iPhone features (on iPhone 5 and later) are displayed on the screen and can be controlled by voice commands through a steering wheel button, helping drivers keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
Apple CarPlay takes the iPhone features most owners want to access while driving and puts them on the vehicle’s display to allow drivers to make calls, send and receive messages and listen to music right from the touchscreen or by voice via Siri. Apple CarPlay-supported apps include Phone, Messages, Maps, Music and compatible third-party apps. A full list of those apps can be found at Apple.com/ios/carplay.
Enhanced Cadillac CUE featuring Apple CarPlay joins ATS-V production in September. Android Auto compatibility will be available later in the 2016 model year.
About Cadillac in Canada
Cadillac has been a leading luxury auto brand since 1902. Today, Cadillac is growing globally, driven by an expanding product portfolio featuring dramatic design and technology. More information on Cadillac appears at www.cadillac.ca. Cadillac's media website with information, images and video can be found at media.cadillac.ca.
# # #