Fresh Face: Chevrolet Introduces Restyled 2016 Equinox
Premium cues, new safety features enhance Chevy’s compact SUV
TORONTO (Thursday, February 12, 2015) – Chevrolet today introduced the 2016 Equinox – a contemporized version of the popular compact SUV. Updates include new styling with premium accents, new wheel designs and new available safety features, as well as a colour touchscreen radio and a standard rear-vision camera for entry-level models.
The enhanced Equinox goes on sale this fall, strengthening Chevrolet’s broad sport utility lineup, which includes the Traverse, the Trax small SUV and the redesigned 2015 Tahoe and Suburban full-size SUVs.
“The Ontario-built Chevrolet Equinox is one of North America’s favourite compact SUVs, thanks to value rooted in great style, efficiency, safety and connectivity,” said Bob McClelland, brand director, Chevrolet in Canada. “The 2016 Equinox has been updated to deliver a contemporary new look and new technologies to build on its outstanding versatility and efficiency.”
The roster of new and updated features available on the 2016 Equinox includes:
- New trim lineup: LS, LT and LTZ, a streamlining of the model lineup that eliminates the 1LT and 2LT trims.
- New front fascia and chrome-accented dual-port grille design – including specific chrome trim on LT and LTZ grilles
- New, premium projector-beam headlamps on all models helps make the Equinox more visible at night
- New daytime running lamps on LT and LTZ, with reflector-style lamps on LS, and light-emitting diode, (LED) lamps on LT and LTZ that create a distinctive, upscale lighting signature
- New fog lamps on LTZ
- New, Chevy-signature dual-element taillamps, revised license plate applique and revised lower rear fascia on all models, with chrome trim on LTZ lower fascia
- New 17-inch aluminum wheels on LT and new 18-inch aluminum wheels on LTZ
- New chrome exhaust outlets on V-6 models
- Available Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert safety features on LT and LTZ
- Standard seven-inch-diagonal Colour Touch radio (including Bluetooth phone connectivity) and rear-vision camera on base models
- Revised instrument panel “centre stack” with new storage shelf and updated control graphics
- New, chrome-trimmed transmission shifter with Electronic Range Selector mode buttons relocated to the top of the shifter handle
- Enhanced interior fabric in LS designed for a premium look and feel
- New Saddle Up interior colour
- New universal tablet holders available through dealers from Chevrolet Accessories. They mount on the rear of the front seats to provide convenient access for rear-seat passengers.
“The new face of the Equinox is highlighted by a more expressive execution of chrome accents and premium lighting,” said John Cafaro, executive director of design, global Chevrolet cars. “The result is a modern exterior that’s matched inside with premium features on all trim levels, complementing the Equinox’s enhanced technology and functionality.”
A compact SUV with big features
The 2016 Equinox seats five, with all-wheel drive offered on LS, LT and LTZ models. Its roomy interior – with the GM-exclusive MultiFlex sliding rear seat – offers 889 litres (31.4 cubic feet) of cargo space behind the rear seat and 1,803 litres (63.7 cubic feet) with the rear seat folded.
The standard Ecotec 2.4L direct-injected engine is expected to deliver a fuel consumption rating of 7.3 L/100km highway (FWD models). A direct-injected 3.6L V-6 is available with LT and LTZ models and delivers best-in-class 301 horsepower (225 kW) and 272 lb-ft of torque (369 Nm). The V-6 engine also enables a trailering capacity of up to 1,588 kg (3,500 pounds) – capability unmatched by four-cylinder-only competitors.
Chevrolet MyLink is standard on LT and LTZ models, while OnStar with 4G LTE connectivity and built-in Wi-Fi hotpot is offered on all trim levels. Equinox was the first in the segment to offer 4G LTE and it provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the car is on and comes with a three-month/3GB data trial (whichever comes first).
In addition to available Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert safety features, Equinox also offers Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning as part of comprehensive safety packages.
Equinox fast facts
- Chevrolet’s second-best selling vehicle in North America, after Silverado
- First generation debuted as a 2004 model
- Second generation introduced as a 2010 model
- Second generation sales in the U.S. and Canada totaled more than 1 million through the end of 2014
- More than 1.4 million Equinox vehicles of both generations are on the road.
The Chevrolet Equinox will be built at GM’s CAMI Assembly Plant in Ingersoll, ON, the Oshawa, ON, Assembly Plant and the Spring Hill, TN, Manufacturing Plant.
About Chevrolet in Canada
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.8 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.ca, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/chevroletcanada or by following @ChevroletCanada on Twitter.