The Buick Enclave combines fuel-efficiency, functionality, style and comfort in a premium crossover that fits up to eight and their cargo. With EPA-estimated fuel economy of 24 mpg highway (FWD), the Enclave provides better fuel economy than a typical eight-passenger SUV.
It was the Enclave that first introduced customers to Buick’s product resurgence, and it has succeeded in bringing new buyers to the brand. Despite being generously equipped, it is priced less than luxury competitors and is backed by the industry’s best warranty – a four-year, 50,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and five-year, 100,000-mile powertrain coverage.
For 2012, Buick Enclave is available in four equipment groups. All-wheel drive is available.
- The Enclave is roomy, but its fluid lines and curved surfaces create the illusion of a smaller vehicle.
- Classic Buick design cues include a waterfall grille with a bold, tri-shield emblem and V-shaped portholes.
- The Enclave interior complements the exterior with a luxurious, warm and inviting environment featuring premium soft-touch, low-gloss materials.
- Attention to detail is evident in the fit and finish of all interior elements including the instrument panel.
- 20-inch chrome wheels are available with the premium equipment group.
Enclave interior – standard and available features
- Enclave is the only crossover in its segment equipped with QuietTuning, Buick’s exclusive engineering process designed to reduce, block and absorb unwanted noise from entering the cabin.
- Even with three rows of seating, Enclave still provides 24.1 (682 L) of cargo space behind the third-row seat when the cargo management system is removed. That’s the trunk capacity of some large sedans and room that many crossovers cannot match.
- Enclave offers 115.9 cubic feet (3,282 L) of cargo space behind the first row when the second- and third-row seats are folded.
- The second-row seats feature the Smart Slide system, a popular feature that allows easy entry to the third row with the pull of one handle.
- A second-row, 60/40-split bench seat and power sunroof are available on all models.
- Bose premium audio system is available on 1SB, 1SD and 1SL packages and standard on the premium equipment group.
- A Driver Confidence Package consisting of remote start, rear park assist and rear vision camera is standard on 1SD, 1SL and 1SN packages.
- The Leather Package is standard on 1SL and 1SN and includes leather seating, front heated seats, and seat adjuster upgrades for the driver and front passenger.
- The Premium Package adds cooled seats, articulating headlamps, power tilt and telescopic steering wheel, power folding outside rearview mirrors, 19-inch chrome wheels and the Bose premium audio system.
- A second-row console, rear-seat DVD and navigation system are available on 1SL and 1SN equipment packages if equipped with the Bose audio system.
Chassis and suspension
The Enclave’s carlike driving experience comes from its stiff structure, purpose-built suspension and aerodynamic shape.
- Variable-effort power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering is supported by independent front and rear suspension designs.
- The front suspension features a MacPherson strut design, with a direct-acting stabilizer bar that helps provide a more immediate feel during turns.
- An available, intelligent all-wheel-drive system provides full-time function. The system automatically decides how to distribute torque based on vehicle speed, throttle position and individual wheel slip, and it is integrated with the electronic traction control system to provide outstanding capability in inclement weather.
- A trailering package is available on all models.
Efficient, proven powertrain
Powering all Enclave models is a fuel-efficient 3.6L direct injected V-6 engine with variable valve timing that blends power, smoothness and efficiency for an SAE-certified 288 horsepower (215 kW) and 270 lb.-ft. (366 Nm) of torque.
Because the direct injection engine sprays fuel directly to the combustion chamber to create a more complete burn of the fuel/air mixture, less fuel is required to provide the equivalent horsepower of a port-injection combustion system.
- EPA-estimated fuel economy is 24 mpg highway on FWD models and 22 mpg on AWD models.
- The 3.6L V-6 engine is mated to the Hydra-Matic 6T75 electronically-controlled six-speed automatic transmission.
- The Enclave can tow up to 4,500 pounds (2,045 kg) when properly equipped and can be flat-towed in both FWD and AWD configurations.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
The Buick Enclave provides safety technologies designed to protect passengers before, during and after a crash. The 2011 Enclave achieved highest-possible federal crash test ratings and was named a top safety pick by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
- Six standard air bags include side curtain air bags, which provide head protection for outboard passengers in the event of a side-impact or rollover crash.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both.
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake system features smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation.
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly.
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system is standard.
- Tire pressure monitoring system is standard on all models
- A Panic Brake Assist feature develops additional brake pressure when an emergency braking situation is detected.
- Enhanced structure to absorb crash energy provides a protective “safety cage” around occupants..
All Enclave models are equipped with segment-exclusive OnStar technology, which includes the Advanced Crash Response System, emergency assistance, vehicle diagnostics and six months of the Directions and Connections plan for route guidance support.
- The Advanced Crash Response System uses vehicle sensors, GPS and digital cellular phone technology to summon emergency responders to a crash scene even when the vehicle’s occupants are unable to do so.
- Stolen Vehicle Location capability helps law enforcement officials find subscribers’ vehicle in the event they are stolen.
- Stolen Vehicle Slowdown technology allows an OnStar advisor to remotely cut off power to the vehicle in the event of a police chase.
- OnStar 9.0 technology offers improved voice recognition capabilities for regional phrases and dialects.