Since its introduction in 2002 as a ’03 model, the CTS sedan has been pivotal in Cadillac’s re-emergence as one of the world’s premier manufacturers of luxury sports cars. It continues to draw new customers from imports and establish loyalty among repeat buyers, with sales up more than 62 percent for the first quarter of 2011.
Continuous improvements have helped keep the CTS family at the top of customer consideration lists and earn critical praise, including a spot on Car and Driver’s 10 Best list, Popular Mechanics’ Auto Excellence Awards and Automobile Magazine’s All-Star list. That legacy continues in 2012, as the CTS receives a lighter and more powerful version of the 3.6L V-6 with direct injection and continuously variable valve timing, a new version of its distinctive shield-shaped grille, new exterior colors and a new Touring Package edition.
From a fuel economy standpoint, the new 3.6L V-6 retains EPA-estimated mileage of 18 city and 27 highway, despite delivering about 5-percent more horsepower – 318 horsepower (237 kW) vs. 304 horsepower (227 kW) in 2011.
CTS Sedan is offered in 3.0L V-6 models, in Base and Luxury Collections, and 3.6L V-6 models, in Performance and Premium Collections. All are available in rear-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive models. The new Touring Package edition is available on Luxury and Premium Collections. Highlights include:
- Eighteen-inch painted pearl nickel alloy wheels on Luxury
- Nineteen-inch polished aluminum wheels on Premium
- Microfiber suede-trimmed steering wheel rim and shift knob
- Chrome door handles
- Sport alloy pedals
- Sport grille and V-Series center brake light
- Midnight Sapele wood trim package
- Recaro performance seats on Premium
- Available microfiber suede seat inserts in Ebony or Light Titanium.
All the new features and revisions for 2012 are shared across the CTS range. Please see separate releases for CTS Coupe and CTS Wagon. Also see the separate release for CTS-V Sedan.
The CTS’s distinctive shield-shaped front grille has been redesigned for 2012 with new premium finishes that highlight the intricacies of a new frame and mesh combination. The Wreath & Crest logo also has sharper colors and raised ridges between the colors, giving it a three-dimensional quality.
Additional standard and available exterior features include:
- High-intensity discharge headlamps with Adaptive Forward Lighting System are standard on Performance and Premium and available on Luxury.
- Halogen headlamps with windshield wiper-activated Twilight Sentinel feature are standard on Base and Luxury.
- Fog lamps are standard on Performance and Premium and available on Luxury.
- Heated and power-adjustable outside mirrors are standard on all models.
- Rainsense automatic windshield wipers are standard on Luxury and Premium and available on Performance.
- Seventeen-inch premium painted aluminum wheels are standard on Base and Luxury.
- Eighteen-inch aluminum high-polish wheels are standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Eighteen-inch aluminum wheels with multi-coat painted finish are standard on Performance.
- Eighteen-inch aluminum wheels with pearl nickel finish are available on Luxury with new Touring Package.
- Nineteen-inch polished aluminum wheels are available on Performance and Premium.
- Exterior colors include: Radiant Silver Metallic, Black Raven, Black Diamond Tricoat, Crystal Red Tintcoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Thunder Gray ChromaFlair, Opulent Blue Metallic and Mocha Steel Metallic (late availability).
The CTS interior emphasizes technical precision with hand-crafted details. An integrated center stack design – with a satin metallic finish – blends into the lower instrument panel that sweeps forward and away from front-seat occupants.
Available heated and ventilated seats incorporate “thin-seat” technology for maximum occupant comfort and enhanced rear-seat leg, knee and foot room. French stitching is used throughout the interior, including the upper instrument panel, door inserts, seats and the shifter boot.
Standard and available features include:
- Audio system with navigation, including AM/FM stereo, CD/DVD player, MP3 playback, Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound with 10 speakers, 40-gig hard drive and USB with audio connectivity is standard on Premium and available on Luxury and Performance.
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio with three-month trial service is standard on models.
- Bluetooth phone connectivity is standard on all models.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control is standard on all models.
- Driver information center is standard on all models.
- Keyless entry and keyless start features are standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Ambient lighting package is standard on Luxury and Premium and available on Performance.
- Auto-dimming inside mirror with OnStar controls is standard on all models.
- Ultrasonic rear park assist is standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Rearview camera system is standard on Luxury and Premium and available on Performance.
- Remote vehicle start is standard on Luxury, Performance and Premium.
- Front bucket seats with power eight-way driver’s adjustment and articulating head restraints are standard on all models.
- Heated front seats are standard on Luxury and Performance.
- Heated and cooled front seats are standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Recaro performance seats are included with Premium trim equipped with the new Touring Package.
- Steering column with power-adjustable rake and telescopic feature is standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Leather-trimmed steering wheel is standard on Base and Performance.
- Leather-trimmed steering wheel with wood trim is standard on Luxury and Premium and available on Performance.
- Heated steering wheel is standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Steering wheel-mounted controls for audio, cruise and Bluetooth systems are standard on all trim levels.
- UltraView power sunroof is standard on Premium and available on Luxury and Performance.
- Wood trim packages with Sapele wood accents are standard on Premium and available on Luxury and Performance.
- Interior color and trim choices include: Ebony seats with Ebony trim, Light Titanium seat with Ebony trim, Cashmere seats with Cocoa trim, Ebony seats with Ebony microfiber suede inserts (Touring Package only) and Light Titanium seats with Light Titanium microfiber suede inserts (Touring Package only).
A new, more powerful and more efficient version of the 3.6L direct-injected V-6 is standard on Performance and Premium models. It delivers an SAE-certified 318 horsepower (237 kW). It is also 20.5 pounds (9.3 kg) lighter than the previous engine, which enhances efficiency and driving dynamics. Highlights include:
- New cylinder head design with integrated exhaust manifold
- Improved intake port design and larger intake valves within the cylinder heads
- Longer-duration intake camshafts
- Composite intake manifold
- New fuel pump and isolated fuel rail
- New, optimized-flow fuel injectors
- Structural front cover and cylinder block enhancements
- Stronger and lighter-weight connecting rods
- Camshaft cap and throttle body design enhancements.
A 3.0L DI V-6 is the standard engine in Base and Luxury models and is rated at 270 horsepower (201 kW). Along with direct injection technology, the 3.0L engine employs continuously variable valve timing to optimize power and fuel efficiency and reduce emissions. Highway fuel economy on 3.0L-equipped rear-wheel-drive models is 28 mpg.
Direct injection (DI) technology – which is also employed on the 3.6L – enables a balance of performance and fuel economy, delivering fuel more precisely to increase the efficiency of combustion. This means less fuel is consumed and fewer emissions created; it also reduces cold-start emissions by up to 25 percent.
A six-speed manual transmission is standard with RWD models equipped with the 3.0L V-6, while the Hydra-Matic 6L50 six-speed automatic is available. The automatic is standard on 3.6L RWD models and all models with the available all-wheel-drive system. It is available with paddle-shift control.
CTS chassis and suspension
The CTS chassis enables a great balance of performance and luxury. The hardware includes structural enhancements via a tower-to-tower brace; large, four-wheel disc brakes and a ZF steering rack. Four suspension tuning packages are available: base, performance (standard on 3.6L models and optional on 3.0L models), 19-inch performance all-season and the summer tire performance package with a summer-only 19-inch tire (RWD only).
Additional features and details include:
- An independent short/long arm (SLA) front suspension system is standard on all models, featuring low-mass aluminum for the upper and lower control arms, as well as the knuckles.
- A multi-link rear suspension with a fully isolated subframe is standard on all models.
- StabiliTrak electronic chassis control system is standard. It is integrated with the car’s standard four-channel ABS with the full-function traction control, as well as the hydraulic brake assist and engine control systems.
- Power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering is standard.
- Performance Package (Summer Tire) is available on Performance and Premium trim levels and includes 19-inch wheels and Y-rated tires, HID headlamps, steering wheel-mounted paddle-shift control, fog lamps, performance cooling system, sport performance suspension, limited-slip differential and performance brakes.
- Performance Package (All-Season Tire) is standard on Performance and Premium trim levels and available on Luxury with the Touring Package. Content includes 18-inch wheels and V-rated tires, HID headlamps and sport performance suspension.
CTS safety and crash-avoidance features
CTS is designed to enhance Cadillac’s reputation for providing safe occupant environments in luxury vehicles. Standard and available features include:
- Dual-stage driver front air bag.
- Segment-first dual depth front passenger air bag.
- Driver and front passenger side seat-mounted pelvic/thorax side air bags.
- Roof-rail side curtain air bags with rollover protection technology that cover front and rear seating rows.
- Front safety belt pretensioners.
- Tire pressure monitoring system.
- Body structure with strategically placed high-strength steel.
- Active head restraints for front seat occupants.
- Ultrasonic rear parking assist.
- Rearview camera system.
OnStar is standard on all CTS models. It uses GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of crash. OnStar subscribers also can use the service to be Good Samaritans by sending help to other motorists, and to call for help in other non-crash emergencies.
- OnStar is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the United States and Canada.
- One year of complimentary OnStar Directions and Connections service with Turn-by-Turn Navigation for easier route guidance on all CTS models. The feature is easy to use because all directions are sent to the car by an advisor, without the need to stop. Turn-by-Turn can be cost-effective, since map updates and aftermarket navigation systems are not needed.
- Stolen Vehicle Assistance helps police track the vehicle.
- myCadillac and OnStar myLink mobile apps offer vehicle information and OnStar services via the customer’s smartphone.
# # #