The Chevrolet Tahoe Police Pursuit Vehicle (PPV) was the first SUV designed from its inception as a law enforcement vehicle. It is ideal for standard patrol, HAZMAT, K9, medical first responder and tactical operations. It joins the Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle, Impala Police Vehicle, Chevrolet Tahoe Special Service and Chevrolet Express Prisoner Transport Van in Chevrolet’s lineup of law enforcement vehicles.
The 2WD Chevrolet Tahoe PPV has a number of features that sets it apart from its civilian counterpart. Tahoe PPV is lower to the ground, delivering improved handling, especially at high speeds. The front and rear suspensions feature stiffer springs and shocks, and there’s also a stiffer jounce bumper that is more ideally suited for police loads.
Tahoe PPV is powered by the Vortec 5.3L V-8 engine delivering 320 horsepower (238 kW) and 335 lb.-ft. of torque (452 Nm). The Vortec 5.3L features Active Fuel Management™ technology, resulting in improved fuel economy, and can operate on fuel that contains up to 85 percent ethanol. The 5.3L V-8 is mated to a fuel-efficient, heavy-duty six-speed automatic transmission.
To support the high speeds sometimes required by law enforcement pursuit vehicles, the Tahoe PPV wears V-rated, P265/60R17 blackwall Goodyear RSA steel belt radial tires, mounted on 17-inch, steel wheels. Tahoe PPV also receives heavy-duty cooling – thanks to a higher capacity radiator and engine oil cooler – and heavy-duty brakes with ABS. StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with Proactive Roll Avoidance and traction control is standard. The system also incorporates electronic trailer sway control and hill start assist.
For underbody protection, Tahoe PPV features a Skid Plate Package that includes a front underbody shield that starts behind the front bumper and runs to the first cross-member. The Skid Plate Package protects such vital vehicle components as the oil pan and other drivetrain parts.Additional standard equipment on Tahoe PPV includes a 26-gallon fuel tank, 160-amp alternator, a heavy-duty 730 CCA battery with run-down protection and extended-life spark plugs. Dual 730 CCA batteries are also available. A fully integrated electrical system makes it easier for upfitters to install such police-specific equipment as light bars and police radios. This helps save time and money associated with vehicle upfits.
Tahoe PPV exterior features
- Black assist steps are standard.
- Available headlamp/taillamp flasher system.
- Available daytime running lamps and automatic headlamp delete.
- Radio suppression (braided brass straps attached at several body locations) is standard.
- Recovery hooks are standard.
- Available left- and right-hand spotlamps.
- Exterior color choices include: Black, Summit White, Gold Mist Metallic, Black Granite Metallic, Silver Ice Metallic and Mocha Steel Metallic.
Tahoe interior standard and available features
- Air conditioning is standard.
- AM/FM stereo with CD and MP3 playback compatibility is standard.
- Cruise control is standard.
- Inoperative inside rear door handles, door locks and windows are available.
- 100-amp main power supply wiring at the instrument panel and cargo area is standard.
- Remote keyless entry fleet package ,including six additional remotes, is available.
- Remote vehicle starter is available.
- Auxiliary wiring for grille lamps, siren, etc. is available.
- Front bucket seats are standard.
- Front 40/20/40 split-bench seat with center fold-down armrest with storage is available.
Tahoe PPV powertrain
The Tahoe PPV is powered by the Vortec 5.3L V-8 that balances power and efficiency. Variable valve timing helps the 5.3L optimize performance, efficiency and emissions, while GM’s Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivating technology helps improve fuel economy in certain light-load driving conditions. It is also E85-capable and matched with GM’s Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission.
- The variable valve timing system allows linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement). It also helps reduce exhaust emissions. Because it manages valve overlap at optimum levels, it eliminates the need for an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system.
- GM's Active Fuel Management technology increases fuel economy approximately 6 percent under the federal government's required testing procedure and potentially more in certain real-world driving conditions. AFM temporarily deactivates four of the engine’s cylinders under light load conditions and seamlessly reactivates them when full power is required. The transition takes less than 20 milliseconds and is virtually indiscernible.
- E85 is a clean-burning, domestically produced alternative fuel composed of 85 percent ethanol alcohol and 15 percent gasoline. Ethanol is renewable and produces fewer greenhouse gases during the combustion process.
Tahoe PPV chassis and suspension
The Tahoe is built on GM’s full-size SUV platform, incorporating a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension, multi-link with coil springs rear suspension and rack-and-pinion steering. Additional features include:
- Wide front and rear tracks – 68.2 inches (1,732 mm) front/67 inches (1,702 mm) rear – enhance handling and vehicle stability for a more confident road feel.
- A stiff frame reduces vibrations transmitted to the passenger cabin, while the strength and accuracy of the fully boxed frame also enable precise mounting and tuning of chassis and suspension components.
- Heavy-duty four-wheel disc brake system is standard.
- The standard axle ratio is 3.08.
- A heavy-duty, high-speed-balanced driveshaft is standard.
- A locking rear differential is available.
- A Skid Plate Package that includes a front underbody shield that starts behind the front bumper and runs to the first cross-member. It protects the oil pan and other underbody/chassis components.
Tahoe PPV safety and crash avoidance features
- Standard head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for both seating rows. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment. These head curtain side air bags stay inflated longer than air bags developed only for side impacts, since rollover incidents can last longer. The deployment duration and other design features of the air bags combine to provide increased occupant protection and the ability to help keep occupants inside the vehicle.
- Standard seat-mounted side-impact air bags for driver and right-front passenger provide thorax and pelvic protection.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both.
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake systemwith ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation.
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision , and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly.
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system, which is included in all second-row seating positions.
- Tire pressure monitoring system , standard on all models.
- Strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants.